Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

L'Arche

Tuesday, May 17, 2011
For the greater part of this school year I've been volunteering at a place called L'Arche. L'Arche was originally started in France and has since spread all over the world. It's an organization that devotes itself to the wellbeing and health of developmentally delayed adults. The main thing that they do at L'Arche and what they're known for is the candles that they make by hand. I own four of these candles and I'll treasure them. My school recently did a candle sale as part of our service to them and we raised over $1,000. It was great. I've been so very privileged to work with six of these adults. As much as they've taken away from me, I've taken away from them. Today was my last day with them and it very nearly broke my heart...I'm definitely coming back in the summer...

Quote Of The Day: (The quote on their site)
"The cry for love and communion and for recognition that rises from the hearts of people in need reveals the fountain of love in us and our capacity to give life."
~ Jean Vanier

50 Word Story:
Simply Together
I know that when I walk into the building in the morning that they'll be happy to greet me. One of them will be talking about jumping baby kittens. Another talks about vacation and flying. They talk to us, they work by us, they welcome us. I miss them already.

1 comment:

  1. I like the yellow candle, I like how it looks after being used. My mom never uses her candles she puts them in her drawers...

    ReplyDelete